This is an early photo of the Brights Chapel. Thomas Bright (1797-1873) was the first minister of the church. Thomas’ parents were Isaac Liptrap and Mary Bright Liptrap. Thomas served as a private in Capt. John Dickson’s Company from Rockbridge County, VA, during the war of 1812. Thomas and his second wife, the former Margaret Cox (1795-1879), raised a large family in Tucker County. They had been married more than 50 years at the time of his death. The original building was constructed of logs, built on a one-acre plot of ground deeded to the church by Bright’s son –in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. James Carr. The original trustees of the church, then Methodist Episcopal, were George Washington Bright, John W. Bright, his nephew Hanson Bright, his brother-in-law Joab Carr and nephew Enos G. Carr. A second church building was constructed in 1914, but was destroyed by fire. Over a period of years the church was rebuilt mostly with volunteer labor or members. Ideas or comments contact Tim Turner (304) 478-3389.