Is the world being taken over by stupid people? Why can’t people answer a question with an answer? It seems as if everyone is so stuck with getting everything they need from a computer that their brains have stopped the most simple of tasks. They can’t do simple tasks or follow directions. Momma Said, “How hard is it to put the square peg in the square hole? Even a monkey can do it.”
If I tell someone I am going o do something, I try to do that task to the best of my abilities. If I tell you I am going to be somewhere at a specific time, I am going to do my best to get there. I hate for someone to make an appointment and then not show up. Momma Said, “At least have the courtesy to call and let me know what is going on.
Courtesy is another trait that is sliding down the hill to oblivion. How hard is it to say please and thank you? And if you have made a mistake, own up to it and try to make amends. Why do people have to make up excuses for everything or stretch the truth to oblige themselves, I just don’t know. I have a friend that makes up stories for everything, can’t tell the truth about anything. Momma Said, “The truth always wins out and usually comes back to bite you in the butt.”
I know the world is not just black and white, but why fabricate a story about everything. Just tell it like it is and get along with life. Most times the real truth is much more favorable than the made up tale. I just don’t understand people who have to be the center of attention and have to make themselves out to be something they are not. Momma Said, “Just be who God made you!!”
Three Sisters Pie
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 c vegetable shortening or lard
- 6-7 Tbsp ice water
- 1 1/2 c fresh or thawed unsweetened sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 c fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 c fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 c apple juice
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into bits
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add the water 1 tsp at a time, tossing with a fork until the pastry holds together.
- Shape into two balls, one slightly larger than the other; flatten into disks.
- Gently toss the strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, with mixture of corn starch and apple juice in a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes. Gently mix in the sugar and cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the larger pastry disk into a 12-inch circle. Fit it into a 9-inch pie pan leaving a 1-inch overhang.
- Spoon in the filling and dot with the butter.
- Roll the remaining disk into an 11-inch circle. Cut into 1/2 inch strips. Twist each strip.
- Arrange the strips in a lattice pattern on top of the filling. Trim the ends and flute the edge.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake 55 more minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream.